Pages

Wednesday, September 23, 2015

Sleep Problems Tied to Type 2 Diabetes

Size is the problem. Normalize size, and Obstructive sleep apnea, and Type 2 Diabetes both disappear. it is amazing how much better someone with a smaller neck circumference sleeps when they are not self asphyxiating.

There is another piece in today's Times about how severe obesity is "ok". It is not ok. It is destroying lives, killing people prematurely, and is horribly expensive to care for from an associated disease perspective.

Actually, size isn't always the problem. I was diagnosed as pre-diabetic last month, and everyone who knows me is shocked, as I am well within the normal range of weight, I exercise at very high intensity 4 - 6x per week, and cook healthy meals. My sleep, however, has been interrupted and unsatisfactory ever since menopause hit 7 years ago. Other friends who are much heavier than I do not have any indications of diabetes. In my case, there may be a genetic component, as my very fit, slender brother, was diagnosed at age 40. That doesn't negate the fact that obesity causes multiple health problems and is becoming epidemic. But not all diabetics are overweight, and as this article states, lack of good sleep is a possible cause.

After three years of crushing insomnia that essentially stopped my ability to function I found relief. (And yes my type ll diabetes numbers and weight went up). UP and OUTSIDE 30 minutes before dawn. NO electronics after 8 pm, unless I am using a low blue light visor and MOST IMPORTANTLY for those of us in the northern hemisphere the use of the Phllips Golite at dawn for 30 minutes(I do not go outside before dawn in the winter btw). Brain chemistry was reset, I now konk out around 9:30 or 10 pm, and sleep through the night, dream at least 3x, and waking up for a trip to the bathroom does not prevent me from falling back to sleep as it did in the past. No lying there at 3 am knowing the next day would be spent in zombie like limbo. I use a sleep mask. In short, I am after 3 years of devastating sleep deprivation, back on track and instead of 6 days of torturous dysfunction I am out and about once again with perhaps 1 day a week of leaden sleeplessness. Hopefully next blood work up will reflect lower metabolic syndrome numbers. Yes there are other factors that have caused the health issues but the creeping insomnia was making it all worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment